Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Still on the right track and the "rules"

Well, I couldn't help myself again and I snuck in another weigh in. Despite my horrible Saturday I'm still on the right track. I won't reveal where I'm at as far as weight loss goes. I'll post that after the next official weigh in! I'm glad I got right back on track. Sometimes my "all or nothing" nature leads me to throw away a whole week when I've screwed up one day. I fought that this time and have stuck to my points since Saturday. I haven't had much in the way of treats because I don't have my extra weekly points anymore - they were all used on Saturday. So, I've been eating really healthy.

Here's some of the weight watchers rules:

I need to be active every day. They recommend 30 minutes. I'm working on that. I'm trying to incorporate more activity into the daycare day as this seems easier for me to do. However, it doesn't get done every day. But it's happening often enough that I feel successful so far.

I need to drink 6 8oz glasses of water a day. I definitely get this. I LOVE water.

I'm supposed to get 2 servings of milk product daily. I don't bother with this one. Too much dairy makes me groggy. I get 1 serving on most days and some days none at all.

I need 5 servings a day of vegetables. I'm definitely getting this. Actually, this is the biggest change I've made. I eat tons of veggies to help fill me up so that I eat less of the entree. The entree is usually what has tons of points in it. I eat my veggies first so that I'm already starting to get full by the time I get to the entree. This was a great technique when we had homemade beef stroganoff the other night. Normally I'd help myself to several servings of stroganoff and then think about having the veggies if I wasn't too stuffed. So instead, I portioned out my serving size of stroganoff, piled my plate with veggies, ate the veggies first, and finished off with the stroganoff. By that time I was full and the temptation to have more stroganoff was just not there. Okay - I did sneak a few noodles while I was packing away the leftovers afterwards. But still, a lot less harmless than another serving of it!

I need to take a multivitamin every day. I'm not great with this. I'm getting better at remembering it though.

I need 2 teaspoons of healthy oil every day. I don't worry about this one either because I use olive oil like it's going out of style. I cook pretty much everything in a bit of olive oil, so I probably make it to this amount most days.

Last time I did weight watchers, about 3-4 years ago, I didn't bother following the rules. I just stayed within points. I lost weight, but only lasted 6 or 7 weeks. Why is that? Because I was hungry all the time. I wasn't filling up on veggies. I was eating whatever I wanted, usually starving myself for half a day so that I could eat a candy bar or something at night. So this time I'm trying to do it right so that I'm making lasting changes.

No comments: